Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Vanessa cardui help needed?

I bought some painted lady butterfly (Vanessa cardui) larvae for my child. They came six in a container with artificial food, which they seem to prefer over the aster/thistle leaves I provided.



Yesterday morning I was pleased to see four hanging upside down from the container lid; I thought they were about to pupate, but later they started to move around and went down to the bottom of the container. This morning I see they are pupating down in the bottom of the container, in the wrong position (prone), in all the yuck of leftover food and frass. One big caterpillar is still on the side of the container, moving about and not apparently pupating.



What went wrong, and can I rescue any of them?
Vanessa cardui help needed?
They did not find suitable place for pupating.



Most butterflies, which normally pupate hanging on the plants can pupate normally on the ground and hatch.



Just wait until they are ready and move them to cleaner container. Give them something to climb up to so they can open their wings easily.
loops

No comments:

Post a Comment